The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) grants scholarships to international students who yearn to study at Japanese universities as undergraduate students under the Japanese Government Scholarships (MEXT) Program for 2020.
Universities in Japan
Fields of study:
Those who wish to study in Japan as an undergraduate student must choose a field of a major from two major fields:
(1) Social Sciences and Humanities and
(2) Natural Sciences.
For more details, please visit the official website of Japanese Government Scholarships at the end.
Number of Scholarships:
Who can Apply:
- International Students.
- Nationals of countries which hold diplomatic relationships with the Japanese government.
- Dual nationality holders of Japan and other country students who are outside of Japan at the time of applying.
The scholarship covers tuition fee and other fees, and a stipend of 117,000 yen/month, an additional monthly allowance of 2,000 or 3,000 yen may be given to those undertaking study or research in specifically designated regions, and travel expenses to and from Japan.
The scholarship is for five years period from April 2020 to March 2025, including one-year preliminary education in the Japanese language and other subjects due to be provided upon arrival in Japan.
(1) Nationality: Candidates must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relationships with Japan. A student who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose country of residence at the time of application are outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the foreign country and give up their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan. The applicants screening will be conducted at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country.
(2) Age: Appellants, in principle, must have been born between April 2, 1995, and April 1, 2003.
(3) Academic Background: Applicants must satisfy one of the following conditions. Though, applicants desiring direct placement must meet either the following ① or ③ condition.
- Candidates who have completed 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who will fit the above qualifications by March 2020 are eligible. However, applicants envying to enroll from the fall term through direct placement must be expected to complete 12 years of schooling by August 2020.)
- Candidates who have completed their education at a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school in countries other than Japan. (Appellants who will satisfy the above qualifications by March 2020 are eligible.)
- Other than the above 1 and 2 conditions, eligible applicants for enrollment in a Japanese university at the time of application.
(4) Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and do willing to develop their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. In addition, in principle, applicants must be willing to take out their academic studies in Japan in Japanese.
(5) Health: Applicants have to submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
(7) Arrival in Japan: In law, applicants must be able to reach in Japan between the 1st and 7th of April 2020. If an applicant is to register in his/her university from the fall semester through direct placement, he/she must be able to arrive in Japan during the period specified by the accepting university within two weeks before and after the opening date of the university’s relevant academic term for that year.
(8) Visa Requirement: An applicant shall, in principle, obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country of nationality and enter Japan with the residency status of “Student.”
Applicants must submit the required documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country by the required deadline. Because the application process differs according to the country in which the Japanese embassy is located, please inquire at the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country for details. The deadline of the applications differs varies per country.
For further details of the Japanese Government scholarships, and for apply, please visit the link below: