Introduction to IsDB Master Scholarship Program
The Program was launched to assist IsDB member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries in the development of their human capitals in key areas of development to pursue Master degree in specific fields to empower communities with a special focus on “Sustainability Science” to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Presidency 5-Year Plan (P5P).
The concept of the Program is based on the following
- This program is a tool for the improvement of the socio-economic conditions in general. It is a scholarship program and a development program at the same time since the students are required to play a leading role in assisting the development of their communities and countries after completion of their studies.
- The Program offers scholarships leading to a full-time Master’s degree (in 2 years maximum) either through course work, research or a combination of both. Whichever the mode, it must be completed within the specified two-year time frame and there is no possibility of extension with the IsDB funding.
- The scholarship is awarded as an interest-free loan (Qard Hasan) to the students but grants to their communities/countries. The beneficiaries are required to refund 50% of the loan after graduation and securing gainful employment, to a Local Education Trust Fund (LETF) established in each member country benefiting from the Program. The collected amounts are to be recycled in new scholarships offered to students from the same country.
- The graduate students are required to take part in the development of their communities/ countries, through their respective professions, while the community development services rendered by the graduates will contribute to the overall development of their communities/countries
The Program is open for academically worthy students and mid-career professionals from member countries and Muslim Communities in non-member countries who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Citizens of any of the IsDB member countries or Muslim communities in non-member countries.
- Be a graduate with a grade above “Good” in his/her bachelor studies.
- Not in receipt of any other scholarship.
- Be medically fit and willing to undergo medical tests after selection.
Fields of study
The eligible candidates may apply to study one of the following fields of study only:
- Food Security
- Resilient Crops
- Postharvest Technologies
Education for Sustainable Development:
- Integration of Sustainability-related issues into national curricula and teaching syllabus documents
- Strategies for Reductions of CO2 Emissions.
- Climate Mitigation
- Carbon Sequestration Methods
- Renewable Energy
- Green Technologies
- Solar Potential
- Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- Biogas and Biodiesel
- Insulation Technologies,
- Urban Planning
- Reduction of Waste
- Serving Communities
- Ethics of Growth
- Carbon Footprint Reduction
- Waste to Energy Technologies
- Urban Sprawl,
- Density and Epidemics
- Alternative Technologies
- Cutting-edge Research
- Limitation of Pollution
- Loss of Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Services
- Mass Extinction
Plastic pollution and Micro-plastics:
- Plastic Incorporation into the Food Chain
- Biodegradable Plastics,
- Recycling Possibilities
Water and Hygiene:
- Water Purity and Availability,
- Sanitation and Quality.
ICT for Development:
- Computer Science,
- Laser and Fiber Optics,
Innovation & Infrastructure Development:
- Build Resilient Infrastructure
- Innovation and Industrial Development,
- Technological Infrastructure,
- Product Innovation
Islamic Economics, Finance and Banking:
- Mode & Services of Islamic Banking and Finance,
- Sharia Standards for IFIs,
- Islamic Insurance & Takaful,
- Islamic Capital Market,
- Sharia & Operational Aspects of Sukuk,
- Islamic Micro-Finance,
- Zakat Management,
- Awqaf & Zakat Management.
Development-related Social Sciences:
- International economics,
- Intellectual Property (IP)
- Political Sciences
Eligible Countries for IsDB Master Scholarship Program 2020
Students from IsDB Member Countries and Muslim Communities from Non-Member Countries Worldwide are eligible. The Present Membership of the Islamic Development Bank Consists of the following 57 Countries:
|Kingdom of Saudi Arabia|
|State of Libya|
|Islamic Republic of Iran|
|Federal Republic of Nigeria|
|United Arab Emirates|
|State of Qatar|
|Arab Republic of Egypt|
|State of Kuwait|
|Republic of Turkey|
|Islamic Republic of Pakistan|
|Democratic and People’s Republic of Algeria|
|Republic of Indonesia|
|People’s Republic of Bangladesh|
|Republic of Yemen|
|Kingdom of Morocco|
|Republic of Sudan|
|Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan|
|Sultanate of Oman|
|Republic of Iraq|
|Republic of Cameroon|
|Republic of Niger|
Republic of Gabon
|Republic of Kazakhstan|
|Republic of Azerbaijan|
|Republic of Mali|
|Republic of Senegal|
|Republic of Guinea|
|Republic of Tunisia|
|Republic of Lebanon|
|Islamic Republic of Mauritania|
|Kingdom of Bahrain|
|Republic of the Gambia|
|Republic of Maldives|
|Republic of Mozambique|
|Republic of Uganda|
|Republic of Benin|
|State of Palestine|
|Republic of Tajikistan|
|Republic of Sierra Leone|
|Republic of Togo|
|Republic of Uzbekistan|
|Union of Comoros|
|Republic of Cote d’Ivoire|
|Islamic Republic of Afghanistan|
|Republic of Chad|
|Republic of Albania|
|Republic of Suriname|
|Republic of Guinea Bissau|
|Republic of Djibouti|
|Federal Republic of Somalia|
|Cooperative Republic of Guyana|
Benefits and facilities
The IsDB Master scholarship program covers the following items:
- Monthly stipend commensurate with the cost of living in the country of study;
- Tuition fees, if any, subject to IsDB’s approval;
- Cost of medical treatment at the university/government hospital;
- Economy class return air tickets (once at the time of joining and on completion of study) and installation and equipment allowance for the students selected to study abroad at partnered universities/countries; and
- Thesis preparation Allowance.
To help students prepare themselves for their future leading role in the development of their communities and countries, the IsDB also provides them with extra-curricular activities under a special program called “Mentorship Programme” to ensure their academic progress and social and psychological integration in the university as well as the local community environment.
Place of Study
Consistent with the concept of the Program, selected students must obtain admissions in one of the approved fields of study at one of the top public/government universities in their own countries. In case of unavailability of fields of study in their home countries, they can seek admission in member countries to have an agreement with the IsDB, i.e. Malaysia, Morocco, Tunisia, and Turkey. In addition, selected students may seek admission from top universities having an agreement with the IsDB, i.e. Cambridge and Oxford Universities.
Note: Getting admission does not mean automatic selection and is not a requirement for application. The final decision on place of study is made by the selection committee
Candidates granted the Scholarship are expected to:
- Sign the IsDB’s prescribed Scholarship Agreement stating their commitment to their studies and serve their communities and countries upon graduation.
- Devote themselves to their studies on a full-time basis and without interruption and provide the IsDB with progress reports on their studies regularly.
- Not to seek or accept other scholarship or remunerated work during their study under the Program.
- Respect the laws of the country of study and maintain good personal and professional conduct consistent with the rules, regulations, and objectives of the Program and the overall mission of the IsDB.
- Register and join the IsDB Alumni after graduation to network with other alumnus and keep updating the IsDB about their progress and achievements in their communities/countries.
- Refund 50% of the loan after graduation and securing gainful employment, in easy installments, to the Local Education Trust Fund (LETF) established by the IsDB in their countries.
The review and selection process is undertaken by an independent International Selection Committee, composed of academicians and chaired by the Senior Advisor to the IsDB President for Science, Technology, and Innovation.
The Selection Committee assesses the applicants’ qualifications and eligibility requirements and ascertains the scientific and development relevance of the proposed fields of study. Recommendation for final selection is made by the committee and final selection is approved by the IsDB management whose decision is final.
Deadline for IsDB Master Scholarship Program
The deadline for submission of applications is February 28th, 2020
For More Information and Queries, Please Visit IsDB Official Website
Are you looking for More Scholarships, Click Here